District 9 Big League girls' team advances in regionals | News
WYOMING, Mich. (WZZM) -- State tournaments are well underway for area Little League baseball and softball teams, but the District 9 Big League girls' team already advanced past regionals tonight, beating the team from District 11 in Indiana 10-1.
It was scoreless in the bottom of the first inning when District 9's Danielle Freeman unloaded a two-run homerun into center field to put her team up 2-0.
District 11 challenged the girls in the top of the third inning, scoring a run to make it 2-1. District 9 would give itself some cushion in the bottom of the third however, scoring two more runs and never looking back.
This is familiar territory for District 9. The girls are the defending Big League World Series champions and if they can win another one in Kalamazoo next month, that will make four world championships in five years.
Upcoming Events near Wyoming
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- GRFD confirms child playing with fire caused West Side blaze
- My Town: Consumers Energy Foundation awards nearly $39K to nonprofits
- My Town: GVSU and DHS awarded research grant for family support program
- My Town GR West: Survey reveals Michigan parents overwhelmingly pleased with 21st century education
- OPINION: Michigan, Our Great State