Homeowner prays for firefighters after flames engulf garage | News
WYOMING, Mich. (WZZM)-A Wyoming homeowner whose garage was destroyed by fire says she's just thankful her family is safe.
A neighbor spotted the flames coming from her Lamar Avenue home shortly before 5 p.m. Saturday. When firefighters arrived, flames were engulfing the garage and threatening nearby homes. The smoke could be seen for miles.
"We ran out of the house and we ran across the street and saw the flames pouring out of the garage and things exploding. I grabbed my two little ones and sat them down in my lap and we started praying, asking God to bring the firefighters quick," said homeowner Tracy Cherry.
Wyoming Battalion Chief Dirk Ubbink says he only had a crew of five people to work with, including himself, and he initially could have used more help battling the fire. He says the situation became even more dangerous when the fire spread to nearby power poles, forcing Consumers Energy crews to cut power to the area.
The homeowner also lost a camper, lawn mower and bicycles that were parked in the garage. No one was hurt.
Upcoming Events near Wyoming
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Grand Rapids police are investigating an overnight stabbing during an apparent robbery attempt.
- Break dance school celebrates 10 years of street dancing
- Outdoor watch party planned for MSU-Oregon game
- The Rapid gives annual update to Kent Co. commissioners
- Kris Spaulding helps Brewery Vivant find a new way of making merry