UPDATE: Teenage swimmer drowns in park pond | News
UPDATE (WZZM)-- Wyoming police say the victim is Douglas Payne, 17, who attended Godwin Heights High School.
WYOMING, Mich. (WZZM)-A teenage swimmer who went under in a Wyoming park pond has drowned.
Police say the 17-year-old boy was with his teenage brother and another teenager at Battjes Park when officers believe he encountered a steep drop off in the water and slipped under.
Officers were called to the park at 11:39 a.m. The first officer to arrive searched the water, but couldn't find the boy. Police called in Georgetown Township rescuers around 12:40 p.m., which located and pulled the boy from the water. However, the teenager died at the scene.
Police are withholding the 17-year-old's name while they contact the rest of his family.
Upcoming Events near Wyoming
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Grand Rapids police are investigating an overnight stabbing during an apparent robbery attempt.
- Break dance school celebrates 10 years of street dancing
- Outdoor watch party planned for MSU-Oregon game
- The Rapid gives annual update to Kent Co. commissioners
- Kris Spaulding helps Brewery Vivant find a new way of making merry