Arrest made in homeless man's beating death | News
WYOMING, Mich. (WZZM) -- Police say a 45-year-old man is under arrest for the beating death of a homeless man.
Officers are not releasing the suspect's name until he appears in court on a second-degree murder charge on Wednesday.
Edward Schmeling, 54, was found dead at a homeless camp in a wooded lot in the 1500 block of 28th Street SW on June 20. An autopsy determined Schmeling had been beaten to death.
Capt. Kim Koster of the Wyoming Police Department says Schmeling and the suspect knew each other, and that the suspect had been to the homeless camp in the past.
Upcoming Events near Wyoming
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town GR Central: ArtPrize voting changes to give music entries a stronger chance at winning
- My Town: Great Cloth Diaper Change record attempt April 26
- Fifth Third Riverbank Run field "deep and fast"
- Power outage hits downtown Grand Rapids
- My Town EGR: Aquinas College hosts Earth Day event for students
- My Town GR South: Grand Rapids welcomes nationally acclaimed eco-chef
- 2 men try to rob Chicken Coop restaurant
- My Town GR South: College Avenue tree dressed up for Easter
- My Town GR South: Eastown celebrates Earth Day with plant exchange, gardening and bench building
- Generation Care expands into Grand Rapids