Father rescues 6-month-old son from burning home | News
WYOMING, Mich. (AP) -- Firefighters say a father saved the life of his 6-month-old son by rescuing the boy from their burning home.
The Grand Rapids Press reports Mark Samp was outside the house Wednesday night in the Grand Rapids-area community of Wyoming when he saw smoke. Unable to get into the home through the front door because of fire, Samp broke a window, climbed inside his son's bedroom and got the child out.
They were outside when firefighters arrived on the scene. The newspaper says the father's face was burned, and both suffered smoke inhalation. They were hospitalized for observation.
Wyoming Fire Chief Bob Austin says authorities believe the fire might have been fatal if the father didn't climb inside. The cause was under investigation, but it wasn't considered suspicious.
Upcoming Events near Wyoming
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- GRFD confirms child playing with fire caused West Side blaze
- My Town: Consumers Energy Foundation awards nearly $39K to nonprofits
- My Town: GVSU and DHS awarded research grant for family support program
- My Town GR West: Survey reveals Michigan parents overwhelmingly pleased with 21st century education
- OPINION: Michigan, Our Great State