Our network

Smoldering cigarette starts apartment fire in Wyoming | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Smoldering cigarette starts apartment fire in Wyoming
News

WYOMING, Mich (WZZM) - A smoldering cigarette is to blame for starting a massive apartment fire in Wyoming early Saturday morning.

Fire crews from Wyoming and Kentwood responded to the call at Boulder Ridge Apartments just after 3:30 a.m.

Wyoming Fire Lt. John Nauta says a tenant on the third floor deck of the three-story apartment left a cigarette burning on top of other old cigarettes in a plastic astray. He said the fire started on the deck, then spread to all three floors.

The fire damaged 12 apartments, destroying six. Firefighters were able to rescue two people from inside the building safely and no one was injured. 

The American Red Cross was at the scene to provide help for those affected. Tenants we spoke with said they didn't have renters inusurance.

News

Wyoming Deals