Labor group seeks signatures to protect bargaining rights | News
WYOMING, Mich. (WZZM) - A group called "Protect Our Jobs" spent Saturday collecting voters' signatures in cities across Michigan, including Wyoming.
They hope to have voters protect collective bargaining rights, which they say will strengthen Michigan's middle class. The group needs 320,000 valid signatures by July 9 to get their plan on the November ballot.
"If you go to work, you do your job, you do it right and you go home, you should have dignity at your workplace, " says Neil Pettit, a teamster who was collecting signatures on Eastern Avenue Saturday.
The movement says there are more than 80 bills now pending in the state legislature that weaken protections for working people, and dismantle collective bargaining rights.
Upcoming Events near Wyoming
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Grand Rapids police are investigating an overnight stabbing during an apparent robbery attempt.
- Break dance school celebrates 10 years of street dancing
- Outdoor watch party planned for MSU-Oregon game
- The Rapid gives annual update to Kent Co. commissioners
- Kris Spaulding helps Brewery Vivant find a new way of making merry